Questions about OnTarget?
Check here for answers to common questions about the OnTarget programs. If you don’t find an answer here go to the Contact Us page and send us your questions.
I am a registered user of OnTarget v2.10 and I want to upgrade to v2.25. What do I need to do?
The upgrade to OnTarget version 2.25 is free of charge to registered users of version 2.10. If you are not a registered user of version 2.10 please go to the OnTarget PC page for instructions on downloading and registering your copy of the program.
Registered OnTarget users should follow the steps below.
- Download and install the new version of the program on your computer. Start the program. If it starts normally you can stop here, the program is unlocked and ready to use.
- If you see the splash screen showing the number of days remaining on a trial period you will need a new unlock key. Please continue to the next step.
- Go to the Contact Us page. Copy and paste, or carefully type, the Registration Number shown at the lower left corner of the splash screen into Message field. Fill in your name and email address. Add any other information you want to pass along to the Message field.
- If you still have the email you received for your original purchase, copy and paste the top four lines containing the unlock key, username, registration number, and date into the Message field. This will help us verify your original purchase.
- Answer the security question, and hit “Send”.
After verifying your purchase of v2.10, a new permanent unlock key will be generated and emailed back to you.
Note: We are processing requests as quickly as possible but if you have not received your new unlock key within three days please send a followup message to email@example.com.
I made a change to my computer and now my OnTarget program will not run (or shows the security splash screen). My original license key doesn’t work. What should I do?
Programs from OnTarget Software use a security wrapper that looks at several components inside your computer to generate the registration code. Every time the OnTarget software is started it checks the status of these components. If anything has changed the security wrapper will display the splash screen with a new registration number and may not allow the program to run.
If you see the splash screen, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org .Please include the new registration number shown on the splash screen, your original registration code, and a brief explanation of recent changes to your computer. We will validate your purchase of a software license, then generate and return the new codes to enable your software.
I receive a permission error when I run the OnTarget programs in Vista/Win 7/Win 8/Win 10.
If your are installing under the program under Program Files in these Windows versions you may receive a permission error when you run the program as a non-administrator user. If this occurs you will need to give Read/Write/Modify access to the folder. To change the security settings on the application follow these steps:
- Log on as a user who has administrative credentials, and then use Windows Explorer to open the application’s folder. Right-click the application’s folder, and then click Properties.
- On the Security tab, click Edit.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
- Under Group or user names, click your user account.
- Under Permissions for Users, click Allow for the following permissions:
- Read & Execute
- List Folder Contents
- Click OK.
Will the OnTarget programs work on my Mac or mobile devices?
The OnTarget programs are designed to work on the Windows family of operating systems. The programs will not run on Mac OS, iOS, Android, or Linux platforms.
I’m often asked why I don’t have versions of the OnTarget programs for other operating systems. Unfortunately crossing platforms is rather complicated because each platform requires a specialized set of tools and knowledge. I’ve spent the bulk of my career creating Windows desktop programs, and I don’t have the tools or knowledge of the other platforms to create a quality application.
Which operating systems will OnTarget work with?
OnTarget v2.25 has been tested in Win7, Win 8, and Win 10.
For Mac OS users it is recommended you install the OnTarget program in a virtual machine with a Windows OS installation. Mac OS users running Windows virtual machines in Parallels and VMware are successfully running the latest versions of the OnTarget programs.
Why is the freeware version of OnTarget no longer available?
OnTarget v1.10 was released in April of 2008 and was, for many years, very stable and bug free. However, due to changes and advancements in hardware, technology, and the Windows family of operating systems, it became increasingly difficult to support new installations.
For these reasons, as of February 15, 2017, the v1.10 installation package has been removed from the OnTarget Shooting website, and OnTarget Software will no longer support new installations of the OnTarget Precision Calculator v1.10 program.
If you currently have OnTarget v1.10 installed on your system you may continue using it at no charge, per the original licensing agreement.
Please note: OnTarget Precision Calculator version 1.10 is owned and copyrighted by Jeffrey Block and OnTarget Software LLC, and is no longer being distributed. Jeffrey Block and OnTarget Software LLC will not be responsible for the integrity, safety, or usability of the installation package received from any other source.